Those who know me are aware that I have a lot of strong opinions, some warranted and some not. Sometimes I know what needs to be said and other times I should probably keep my mouth shut.

I can think of no other area in my often bizarre and off-kilter life in which this has been more true than in my experiences as an amateur band director. Seven years ago I began an odyssey that has taken me in a direction I did not expect and to this day cannot believe or fully explain. It has been a wild ride, but I am happy - generally.

So, I wanted a place to rant and reflect, to gaze forward and look back, and to put into words all those crazy things that go through my head about music, teaching, learning, and life in general.

I want to clarify to myself where I have been and where I want to go; to share so much of what I have learned, and to find answers to so many questions I have; and to inspire anyone who will listen but also be honest and true to myself.

It is for these reasons and a thousand others that I am compelled to write.

Saturday, November 16, 2013

The End of Optimism Part 3 - Postlude

I never intended for this blog to cover such dark and unfortunate topics, but these are the things that I have needed to talk about.  In the hopes that I can finish this and move on to happier topics (let’s be honest, probably not – see the lack of optimism?) let’s conclude this conversation.

I brought up two very different stories.  Both contained happenings that I attribute to ambition, that wonderful and horrible thing that has led to man’s greatest triumphs and greatest failures.  It would seem that I believe all ambition is bad.  I don’t believe that for a second.  Ambition is the only reason I was able to build Pep Band to what it is today.  Ambition is the only reason I became an assistant conductor in Wind Symphony.  Ambition has largely driven my success in science as well.  I need to admit that I am not always a popular person because of this.

Those who have taken the time to get to know me and, far more importantly, have allowed themselves to fully understand me, know the striking difference between me as a leader and me as my inner self.  The simple truth of the matter is that I am a brutally fast thinking introvert with enough self-awareness to force myself to do what I must to accomplish what I wish to accomplish.   I am also tragically and hopelessly romantic and an absolutely fierce friend.  I am overly patient and too trusting of people all too often.  I am afraid of being let down, afraid of losing hope, and all too often afraid to let go.  On a deeply personal level, I am crippled by self-doubt and have put my heart out too many times to too many people and been hurt deeply as a result of it.  I find myself trying desperately to get what I want and understand what I need without being able to fully realize either.  This is my struggle.  This is why my optimism is being tested.  Suddenly I don’t sound like a very ambitious person anymore.

Yet I often am.

The trick is self-awareness.  I pride myself on being as self-aware as I am right now.  Every day I strive to understand what I’m doing and what I’m feeling, and every day I get better at controlling my ambitions, understanding the consequences of my actions, and understanding the effect I have on people around me.  It’s difficult to face oneself but so incredibly helpful.  I am proud at how far I’ve come and at the same time humbled by how far I have yet to go.  I will keep working on it and I will keep improving.  (Was that a hint of optimism?)  This is all I can ask of myself, and I understand that.

There are two things I want to reiterate:
1 – Self-awareness
2 – Understanding the effect you have on others.

If you remember these two things it is far easier to keep ambition in check.  No one can perfectly navigate the stream of ambition.  We all make mistakes and will continue to do so.  Be self-aware.  If you make a mistake, recognize what you’ve done, work to understand it and why you did it, and own up to it.  Look at what that mistake did to the people around you and if you hurt anyone, let them know you understand and are sorry.  Then be introspective (natural for the introverts among us).  Figure out what the lesson is and change yourself for the better.  Next time you’ll act differently.  Keep trying to improve.  If you still make a mistake, fix it and try again.  You will become a more forgiving person, a more caring person, and you should largely be happier with the person you are.  That’s a pretty amazing thing. 

This is how I have learned to control ambition.  One of my larger problems right now is that of patience.  I am not nearly as patient as I used to be.  I’ve simply been hurt too many times in fairly recent memory.  I am stuck in one of two positions.  Either I am overly patient because it’s easier than addressing the problem (remember that crippling self-doubt?) or I am too short on patience because I’m tired of fighting.  Both of these have caused their fair share of problems.  The later has made me seem far more reactive and difficult than I wish to be (In many ways it makes me seem far more ambitious than I actually am right now).  How do I even these two things out?  I wish I knew.  I’m going to keep working on it.

The well intentioned and observant reader may notice something rather remarkable about the flow of these three episodes on optimism.  Let me assure you that this was not in the slightest intentional – at least not on a conscience level - but rather should serve as a comfort to the reader that I am sincere in what I’m saying here.  Other than give some careful advice, the first part addressed what I saw as a problem and the effect it had on me.  The second part did much the same for a different set of circumstances.  This concluding part provides a lesson, but serves very much as a character study of myself.  This has been my way of addressing those two points I reiterated several paragraphs ago except that I am trying to understand the effect other people’s actions and my responses to them have had on me – in other words, I am trying to understand the effect I have had on myself.  I am trying to heal, thus I am addressing the cards dealt to me in the most self-aware way that I can.

It’s helping.  There’s a long way to go, but I feel like I’m on the right path.

I am optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment