Those who know me are aware that I have a lot of strong opinions, some warranted and some not. Sometimes I know what needs to be said and other times I should probably keep my mouth shut.

I can think of no other area in my often bizarre and off-kilter life in which this has been more true than in my experiences as an amateur band director. Seven years ago I began an odyssey that has taken me in a direction I did not expect and to this day cannot believe or fully explain. It has been a wild ride, but I am happy - generally.

So, I wanted a place to rant and reflect, to gaze forward and look back, and to put into words all those crazy things that go through my head about music, teaching, learning, and life in general.

I want to clarify to myself where I have been and where I want to go; to share so much of what I have learned, and to find answers to so many questions I have; and to inspire anyone who will listen but also be honest and true to myself.

It is for these reasons and a thousand others that I am compelled to write.

Thursday, September 12, 2013

All Good Things Must Come to an End

September 5, 2013

 

Jon and Amanda,


Over the last 18 months it became clear to me that a crossroads was approaching.  I could see paths diverging, malevolent forces gathering, and my ability to improve the band diminishing.  I believe this crossroads is at hand.  I have been watching clouds gathering around me for some time now.  With success follows jealousy and ambition.  Given the challenges I have experienced in my personal life during these last 18 months, and the stress and anxiety currently caused by forces out of my control, I am making an incredibly difficult, but necessary decision.  I have constantly put the needs of the pep band over my own needs, but I can no longer do that.  This being the tenth year of our pep band it seems an appropriate time to move on and begin the next chapter of my life.


Nurturing the pep band over the last nine years has been the most rewarding experience of my life to this date.  You two along with all the other members of this band, past and present, have been an inspiration to me.  If not for the enthusiasm, intelligence, and commitment of the members of this exceptional organization, there would be no band today.  Far too often, too much credit for the success of a musical organization is placed on its director.  I feel this has often been the case with the pep band.  I have always said and will always say that it is the students who have driven the success of the band.  You showed me what you were capable of, and I simply encouraged you to do what you could do all along.  I feel incredibly blessed that I have had the privilege to watch the band grow, and, far more importantly, watch every member of the band grow as the years went by.


At the same time, the personal growth I have experienced from the founding of the band to the present continues to astound me.  I have grown as a musician, a conductor, a leader, a mentor, and a friend.  I will take all of this with me as I continue on my life’s journey.  I encourage you two to take this as an opportunity for your own personal growth.  You have a unique opportunity and if you take it and push yourself to do the best you can, you will be amazed at what you will accomplish and how much you will grow.  Never stop pushing and never stop believing in yourself.  You both and all of the members of the band have so much potential.  Make the most out of in everything you do.  Persistence and determination are incredible allies.


I leave you with a band that has far surpassed what I ever imagined it could be.  It is musical, responsive, motivated, and spirited.  This band is something you and the entire university should be proud of.  It is a band that surpasses that of any of our peer institutions and rivals many division I pep bands.  It is truly special.  Take it, love it, and nurture it.  The coming months will no doubt be a difficult time for the pep band, but I leave you with my full faith and confidence that you can make this work.  Don’t settle for anything less than the band is capable of and take advantage of the mentors around you and it will continue to thrive.


I advocated for both of you during the last executive board elections because I knew a transition was approaching, and I see a spark in both of you.  Amanda, you care careful, considerate, compassionate, and caring.  Use this to your advantage.  They are truly noble qualities.  Do not let anybody push you around.  You are strong.  You have shown me that this year.  Jon, I see a lot of myself in you.  You are thoughtful, deliberate, strong, and watchful.  I see you as a natural leader.  Find mentors who will help you foster your leadership skills.  Ask questions of those around you and maintain your focus.  Jon and Amanda, if the two of you work together and take charge, the band has the greatest chance of successfully weathering this transition.  You can do it.  I know you can.  You are incredible.  This is the time to be magnificent.


I do not wish this to be a jarring and abrupt change; however, my departure must happen soon.  I intend to take the pep band through its first football game at which point I will pass it on to you.  If you feel a different timeline is more appropriate, I ask you to discuss it with me.  This being said, I am officially submitting my resignation as Musical Director of the University of Rochester Pep Band, effective 5:00 PM, Saturday, September 28, 2013.


I am always here for guidance, advice, and anything you require of me, but only as you ask it of me.  Best of luck and Godspeed to you both.

 

Sincerely,


Gregory R. Savich

Musical Director

University of Rochester Pep Band

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment